Some things should just not be. Pecan Pie potato chips are one of them.
Here’s a handy guide for young parents-to-be who want to choose a baby name that is suitably trendy and original, and will show how cool you are.
For girl names, pick
- An urban city that does not contain an existing girls name. For example, Brooklyn and Madison are way overdone, but Houston, Moscow, Sacramento, and Vilnius are still okay.
- The last name of a US president or rock star from the 70s, e.g. Nixon, Parsons, Carter, Gibb, Simon, Jefferson, or Starship.
- Don’t pick names from the 60s and 80s. No more girls named Reagan, Dylan, or Kennedy (or Kennadee, Kenahdee, etc.)
For boys, pick
- A monosyllabic object found in nature, such as Flint, Grove, or Loam.
- An adjective or number, such as Five, Blue, or Rank.
- The name of a cheesy movie from the 70s or 80s, e.g. “Krull”
- State names are so passé. No more Wyoming, Dakota(h), or Kansas. Though you might be able to get away with Hampshire.
- Automotive terms are good, but Diesel is overused. Instead, try Piston, Axle, Cap, or Hood.
Most importantly, don’t pick anything on this list. If somebody else thought of it, then it’s no longer original.